Tuesday, February 3, 2009

UW aeronautics and astronautics


Well I have a few moments before the buss comes so here is a little more about school. I have been going to college in some form or another for 10 years. the AA department at the UW is the best funded of all the schools I've gone to but I can't say that the quality of the education stands head and shoulders above the rest. there are good teachers and bad ones. it is ranked 17 in the country for aeronautical engineering, 20th for engineering in general. That said I am finally taking a class that is about air planes it is called flight mechanics. and it is hard. very interesting but hard. home work is about 5 questions long and takes 8-10 hours to do. often times one question will have over 20 inputs just to get at one number. more than once there is not a way to find the solution with out writing an iterating code. this means an equation does not exist so you have to guess what a good answer would be and then check it to see if it works. using computers this is not that bad but I pity the people that took this class 40 years ago. its actually nice because now that I am not working I have enough time to do the home work and understand the material.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you have time to understand your classes.

Debbie said...

I got the joke...after I looked at the problems second time.